It's my party and I'll laugh if I want to!


My birthday is on Monday and as my closest friends and family ask what I want to do, I contemplate all the ideas I have in my head until I visualize the perfect day.

I tell my nearest and dearest my idea, I say, I want to keep it low key and hang out at home, drink some wine, eat steak and cheese and pasta and well, I was hungry when I said the menu. But, you get the point, something easy and simple! I can uncork the wine and I'll even do a taste test on every bottle but someone else can light the grill!
 
So, naturally yesterday people start coming into town to stay at my house for the weekend. I don't know when 20 people become a small gathering but here I am running around trying to accommodate the food and shelter for my cherished few, thankfully only about half that will be staying with me, which I made no promises on their comfort! They better pick a bed buddy they don't mind snuggling with!

I'm a little OCD, with a huge dose of perfectionism. I do believe it's courtesy of my mother and her white glove. Love her to bits but she takes all responsibility for that one! Anyhow, I am now going insane trying to make everything great for the "low key" birthday I've got coming and I realize that my house will never be featured in Architectural Digest or look like you just walked into a Pottery Barn catalog. Try as I might and I really try, it's just not going to happen.

But, what I do know is that the people driving hundreds of miles down the state to sing happy birthday to me, already know me and love me and could care less which rugs are Persian and which aren't, by the way, none of them are.

It's hard to get that through my hard-headed skull, especially when I’m always trying so hard to make things perfect.  I might not have the pottery barn look but I do have good wine and I'll always keep your glass full and the laughter abundant.

Cheers to my family and friends that always make me feel loved!

4 comments:

I appreciate your comments and look forward to reading what you write!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...